Art in the Park 2017
Call for Art Installation Proposals
The Columbia Art League is delighted to present the 59th Annual Art in the Park, June 3 and 4, 2017. First held in 1958, Art in the Park is the oldest and largest art festival in mid-Missouri. It is the highlight of the summer season in this arts-focused city, home of the University of Missouri and winner of the first ever Missouri Arts Council's Creative Community Award in 2007.
Last year’s installations brought new energy, dynamism, and excitement to this timeless festival. Therefore, the Columbia Art League has decided to once again invite artists to submit proposals for large and small scale, temporary art installations to be displayed throughout the park during the festival. Though no explicit theme is specified, we encourage artists to draw inspiration from the diversity of environments offered by the stunning park setting as well as the celebratory spirit of this beloved community festival. We are seeking installations that will surprise and delight festival goers, encourage interaction and participation, and generally enhance the experience of creative community and wonder.
- Proposals due Friday, February 17, 2017
- Artists will be notified of acceptance no later than Friday, March 3, 2017.
- Collaborative proposals are welcome.
- Any artist or group of artists may submit more than one proposal.
A FEW CONSIDERATIONS
Environmental: This festival takes place entirely out of doors in Stephens Lake Park, rain or shine. All materials used must be able to withstand rain, wind, sun, etc. Additionally, the festival as a whole takes great care to respect the organic and architectural features of the park. Artists should carefully consider any potential for damage to trees, lawns, walkways, pavilions, etc. If the risk is deemed too great, we may ask that you amend the proposal or it may be rejected entirely.
CAL will not be responsible for damage to installation artwork(s) due to severe weather, public interference (though overnight security will be provided), or any other unforeseen occurrence.
Duration and Timing: Art in the Park is a two day festival event, therefore, installations must be temporary and relatively easy to erect and remove. Works must be installed on Friday, June 2 and removed by 8 pm on Sunday, June 4.
Budget: Each artist will include a budget with their proposal which covers the cost of materials and labor, however, please keep in mind that our total budget for installation artwork is limited to $3000. We may select one or more proposals to which we will allocate these funds.
PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of each artist participating in the proposal
- A brief bio including any large scale installation experience. (Previous experience is not required, but if you have it, we’d love to hear about it.)
- A detailed description of installation concepts. Please include as much information as possible about materials and estimates regarding scale.
- Images of any sketches, maquettes, schematics, etc., that may help us to visualize your ideas.
- Itemized budget for materials and labor.
SEND PROPOSALS VIA EMAIL TO: Karen
OR BY MAIL TO
Columbia Art League
207 S. 9th Street
Columbia, Mo 65201